Ubuntu is a popular GNU/Linux distribution backed by Canonical. It is capable of supporting different hardware platforms like server computers, cloud systems, desktops, tablets and mobiles.
Ubuntu was started back in 2004 and over the years it has grown to become most popular open source operating system. Presently Ubuntu most used open source cloud solution and it acts as a stable base for other solutions offered by Canonical such as OpenStack.
When the project was started back in 2004, Ubuntu was using GNOME 2.x as default desktop environment. Later when GNOME 2.x development was discontinued in favor of GNOME 3.x / GNOME shell, Ubuntu started developing their own shell named Unity.
Unity is the default desktop environment of Ubuntu and it is a cross device compatible shell. the main motive of unity is to offer a uniform user experience in different platforms. Beginning from Ubuntu 17.10, the project will be moving away from Unity in favor of GNOME. The idea of convergence was discontinued by Canonical due to poor appreciation from the market.
|Desktop Envrionments|| |
|Distributions based on Ubuntu|
Reviews of Ubuntu
- Ubuntu 17.04 is fairly solid, though does not offer anything significant
- Ubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapata - Viva la revolucion!
- Ubuntu 17.04 is a good release, except the Horrible DNS Issue (now ‘fixed’)
- Comparing Ubuntu 16.10 flavors : Ubuntu, Ubuntu GNOME, Kubuntu and Xubuntu
- Why Ubuntu 16.04 LTS is most secure distribution out of the box?
Other stories on Ubuntu
- Ubuntu 18.10 will be named as Cosmic Cuttlerfish
- GNOME Shell 3.25.91 lands in Artful, final release will ship with 3.26
- Ubuntu 16.04 is now available in Windows Store
- Kubernetes 1.7 is now available for Ubuntu
- Ubuntu 17.10 Yakkety Yak reaches end of life on 20th July 2017
- Ubuntu on AWS gets better performance by AWS-tuned Kernel
- Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin retires on 28th April 2017
- Microsoft SQL Server public preview is available for Ubuntu
- Ubuntu 18.04 final beta images are availabe now
- Ubuntu 16.04.2 LTS will be postponed till February 9, due to boot issues